Saturday, September 1, 2012

Unemployment Pie (aka Chocolate Banana Coconut Cream Pie)

I'm so sad the haunted house where I work closed down temporarily. On the bright side we decided to have a "Bye Bye Pie Potluck" and I made a tasty pie! So, I'm sharing the recipe with you! This one is a little labor intensive but mostly because you have to crack open a few coconuts. Yikes! That's hard work but maybe you have a machete or a buzz saw or drill.... there's got to be something that makes opening a coconut easier. I am not suggesting you use a buzz saw. I mean you can try to do it at your own risk I have no idea if it will work. If you do try it and it works without injury, let me know. :)

Anyway, even though no one else who works in my maze is vegan, besides my sister who brought a delicious "chicken" pot pie (which will be blogged at a later date) I still like to bring my tasty vegan creations to share. Besides, there has to be something I can eat there!

 Bye Bye, Pie. You were tasty. 
So, here it is: 
Raw Chocolate Banana Coconut Cream Pie

Crust:
2 C almond meal
3 T Coconut oil
2 T maple syrup or raw agave or date butter
Mix all ingredients into a bowl and press into the bottom of the pie tin. If you like a thicker crust, you can double the recipe.

Filling:
(Layer 1)
2 bananas chopped and spread on top of crust

(Layer 2)
Meat of 2 young coconuts
2 T raw cacao powder or raw cocoa
1/4 C maple syrup or raw agave or date butter
1/4 C cashews
2 T coconut oil

Mix above ingredients in a juicer fitted with a blank or vitamix, blender, etc and puree. Spread this layer over crust and bananas. Place in freezer while you prepare the next layer.

(Layer 3)
2 bananas chopped
1 C dates
1/2 C water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

In blender or food processor puree dates with water and vanilla spread over layer 2 with the chopped bananas. Place pie back in freezer.

(Layer 4)
Meat of 2 young coconuts
1/4 C maple syrup or agave or date butter
2 T raw cacao powder

Puree above ingredients together in blender and spread over layer 3 then sprinkle shredded coconut over the top or if you prefer a sweeter topping, make more of layer 3. Keep in refrigerator until it's time to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment