Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I think I must be a stress eater but at least it's good for my creativity!

My mom's in the hospital, she just had surgery. She's doing well but every time I come home from the hospital I just keep making delicious gluten-free recipes. Maybe it's because all the food at the hospital is so awful I have to remind myself that there's good food in the world. Yesterday I made the most delicious rosemary olive gluten-free loaf which my sister and I polished off before I could think of blogging about it. Today I woke up wanting pancakes so. I made my own recipe and made the dough. They were amazing! Luckily for you guys, I remembered to blog. ;-) This recipe is so easy too!
So delicious!


Easy Gluten-Free Pancakes

Ingredients

  • 1/2 C certified gluten free oats
  • 1/2 C cornstarch
  • 2 Tbsp. honey* or agave
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. xanthan gum**
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. flax meal***
  • 1 C. water + 1/4 C water
  • 1 Tbsp. oil- I used olive but I think it would be better with grape seed oil.
  • 1/4 C blueberries (optional)
  • *Honey is not considered vegan by most so if you're opposed to the consumption of honey, use agave
  • ** You can find xanthan gum at Whole Foods or online. I also see it at the chinese grocery stores sometimes. Most recipes don't require much so it's good to just keep around the house for your GF baking needs.
  • *** The flax meal and 1/4 C water mixture is a replacement for an egg so if you eat eggs and you don't have flax, you can use one egg instead.
This is the dough before I added the blueberries.







How to make it

  • Put the 1/2 C oats into the blender and blend until the oats have mostly the consistency of flour. In mixing bowl, stir together oats, corn starch, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. In a small bowl combine the flax meal with 1/4 C water and mix together. Let stand while you get another mixing bowl, and mix the honey, water, and oil. Add to oat mixture all at once and mix in flax meal mixture and blueberries if you're using them. Stir until blended. Pour about 2 Tbsp. or 1/4 C onto heated pan or griddle. On my stove we set it to a 2 out of 8. Not sure what temp that is. Sorry. You can test the temp of your pan or griddle by wetting your fingers and dropping a drop or two of water onto it. If it skates across the surface, it's ready. When you drop the dough onto the pan, you will need to help it spread out as the dough doesn't really spread out easily as regular pancake mix. Perhaps this could be helped by adding more liquid but I didn't think to try that.
  • Cook until pancakes are golden brown, you will know it's time to flip when you see little bubbles on the surface of the pancake.  Makes 8 to 10 pancakes. 
  • And yes, my sister and I ate them all. :-p

No comments:

Post a Comment