Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Vegan Gluten-Free Mini Tiramisu (no baking required)

     I made lots of delicious food this weekend and I am so excited to share it with you. My mom, sis and I are working as performers for a very fun, scary theme park event for Halloween. We're apparently a scary family. It's so much fun to scare people, though it is very exhausting (I sound a bit evil but I promise these people getting scared seem to enjoy it so I feel good about it). We get through the long 12 hour nights by having potlucks and fun theme events. For example, this past weekend was 80s night in my group so I searched the web looking for a great idea for food to bring. I am an overachiever so I like to impress and amaze everyone at the potluck. I noticed the most often mentioned potluck idea was 7 layer dip so I considered bringing that but decided to go with a dessert as at our last potluck I made my delicious mac and cheese and several people mentioned they wished we had a decadent desert like cheesecake. So, I  ended up making the 7 layer dip for a snack at 4am after we all got home from work. It was really easy to throw together and mom, sis and I scarfed it down. Scaring works up quite an appetite!

     For my potluck, I chose to make vegan, gluten free mini tiramisu. I have made regular tiramisu before but I thought for convenience, mini tiramisu would easy for people to just grab and eat. Plus, I read that in the 80s there was a trend of making mini versions of various foods and that tiramisu was also trendy in the 80s due to mascarpone cheese being rather trendy. Anyway, here's the recipe. It's very simple and requires no baking which was important for this last weekend. By the way, I got all the ingredients from Trader Joe's and these went really fast at the potluck.


Vegan, Gluten-Free Mini Tiramisu
serves 24

2 8oz. tubs of Trader Joe's "This Is Not a Tub of Cream Cheese It Is a Tub of Non-Dairy Spread"
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 C vanilla non-dairy milk- I used Trader Joe's Vanilla Coconut milk beverage
1/2 C of raw turbinado sugar
1 tsp lemon or lime





2 boxes of gluten free Snickerdoodles
cupcake liners


1 C brewed coffee or espresso
1 TBS marsala wine or rum- I used marsala wine which is only about $3 from Trader Joes

First powder the raw turbinado sugar in the blender for about 1 minute.
Then pour non-dairy spread, vanilla extract, vanilla non-dairy milk, powdered, raw turbinado sugar and lemon or lime juice into a bowl, mix with a spatula and place in the refrigerator.

Brew the coffee or espresso and mix in the rum or wine. Immerse each snickerdoodle in the coffee/wine mixture and place cookie in cupcake liners. I recommend the foil cupcake liners as after a while the paper was becoming soggy and though it was still tasty I think it would be less of a struggle with the foil liners.



Next take your semi-sweet chocolate bar and grate it into a bowl. Set aside.

It's ok to eat a few squares, I did. :-)
Now place a couple spoonfuls of the non-dairy spread mixture on top of each cookie. I would guess it was roughly two tablespoons/cookie but I didn't measure. Then take the grated chocolate and sprinkle on top of your tiramisu and you're finished. Easy, right?





2 comments:

  1. I made it using 3/4 cup of sugar and I used gluten free ginger snaps from Trader Joe's. I also used spiced rum. It has a better flavor. Then I froze it. It stays together better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds heavenly.

    It was great to meet you this week, and to hear about all the amazing foods you're creating!

    ReplyDelete