Sunday, September 16, 2012

Bitter Melon Salsa and Gluten-Free/Grain-Free Crackers/Chips

I was looking through my produce I got in my box from the Farmers Market and there was something in there I never tried before.
It looked like this but I'm not sure. Anyone know of anything else that looks like this?

Mom identified it as bitter melon. I think she was right. Anyway I peeled it and tasted it. It tastes kinda like a cucumber but the seeds are not really edible. I thought it would be great in a salsa. I got a ton of fresh sage in my box as well so I added that in and I have to say it's pretty good.



Bitter Melon Salsa:
1 large bitter melon 
1 yellow pepper
1/4 C onion chopped
1/4 C fresh sage chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
juice of one lime. 

Peel remove seeds and chop your bitter melon and pepper. Add in the chopped onion and sage and minced garlic mix it all up with the juice of one lime and this it. Simple. 

Crackers/ Chips:
1/2 C yellow flax seeds
1/2 C almond meal
1/4 C water
juice from 1/2 a lime
salt as desired

Mix the flax seeds, almond meal, lime juice and water. Let stand about 10 minutes then flatten  the mixture into crackers or chips and place on a piece of parchment paper. For best results, use a rolling pin to flatten the dough. You can dehydrate  them if you want them to be raw or cook them in the oven on 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes or so. Remove from oven or dehydrator when firm. I used to have a dehydrator but sadly I left it when I moved so I had to cook my crackers but that best dehydrator I owned was the Excalibur. It was fantastic and had a lot of room. However, it's really expensive. I used to have the Ronco version from Ron Popeil and that one is ok (though on occasion it seemed the temperature got a little high and seemed to dehydrate the food unevenly compared to the Excalibur but it only costs like $39. So, I'm in the market for a dehydrator sometime soon. Anyone have any other recommendations? 

No comments:

Post a Comment