Thursday, November 17, 2011

Vegan, Gluten-Free, Healthy (and Easy) Gravy Recipe


     Since it's almost Thanksgiving, I imagine people will be searching for great vegan and gluten-free gravy recipes. I created this recipe last Thanksgiving based on my mom's vegan gravy recipe. This is really simple and can be made with or without mushrooms. I love mushrooms but sometimes I just want plain gravy.

Anyway, if you're making it with mushrooms, thinly slice some baby bella or crimini mushrooms and saute them in olive oil with a good splash of Bragg liquid aminos (or soy sauce) and set aside.

Ingredients:
1/2 C olive oil
1/2 C nutritional yeast flakes
2-4 tsp corn starch or arrowroot powder
1/4 C Bragg liquid aminos (if you don't have this ingredient, use a soy sauce)
2-3 C vegetable broth (I like Imagine brand or make your own)
freshly ground black pepper (optional)

Over medium heat, brown the yeast flakes in the olive oil. It will make somewhat of a paste then add the Bragg liquid aminos and the cornstarch or arrowroot powder. Once you have everything mixed, add in the mushrooms if you're using them, then gradually stir in the vegetable broth. Add more arrowroot or cornstarch if it doesn't thicken to the desired consistency. If you like it to be saltier, add more Bragg liquid aminos. Once it's finished, reduce heat and grind a little black pepper on top if you like and serve. It's great with mashed potatoes.

If you're not worried about gluten, you can replace the nutritional yeast flakes with whole wheat flour and leave out the cornstarch.

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to try this. I've been using the same old recipe for years, and it's time for something new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Let me know what you think of it!!

    ReplyDelete