Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Dairy and Gluten-Free Macaroni and Smoked Cheese

Ok so the first recipe is simple but delicious. I made this for a work potluck the other day and it was so good. No one realized it was non-dairy or healthy at all! I'll have to make it again so I can add pics. I probably make some version of this recipe weekly. My family loves it!

Vegan Macaroni (penne) and Smoked Cheese

1 16oz brick of firm tofu
1/4 C olive oil
2 Tbsps nutritional yeast flakes
1-2 Tbsps garlic powder
1-2 Tbsps onion powder
1 Tbsp salt (some people will want more, I'm usually sensitive to too much salt)
1 tsp of paprika
2 Tbsp Ener-g egg replacer- if you don't have Ener-g you can use cornstarch instead
approx 2-3 tsps liquid mesquite smoke flavor or my favorite, Trader Joe's African Smoke
grind in black pepper as needed

Boil water  as instructed for Trader Joe's Brown Rice Penne or other gluten free pasta while you prepare the cheese. For the cheese, crumble the tofu into a blender or food processor with all above ingredients (minus the pasta)  and blend until smooth. Once the pasta is cooked and drained, pour cheese mixture over it and blend. Sometimes I will add 1/4 C earth balance to the cooked noodles and cheese mixture. Also it's great with sauteed mushroom and garlic tossed in along with some raw spinach or kale mixed in for color. Enjoy and let me know what you think!!

No comments:

Post a Comment